Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Vanilla Cinnamon Icing
I am finally getting around to giving you the recipe for the sweet little Pumpkin Spice Cookies I teased you with on Facebook a week ago. My intention was to post it right after we arrived in Kona, but life has been so hectic! I feel like I’ve been in an out of grocery stores and Target for the past week and haven’t even gotten to stop and smell the salty ocean breeze.
On top of that, Asher is having a tough time adjusting to life here. He’s testing me with every bed time and nap, getting out of the pack-n-play a million times, and purposefully throwing things out to make me come in. It’s been such a battle every day but he’s starting to get the idea that I mean business, so things are getting a little better. Oh toddlers!
It’s early, and my brain isn’t full functioning yet, so I won’t try to write anything poetic or witty. We’ll just get straight to the recipe, because that’s what you all care about anyways right?
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- dash of sea salt
- ⅓ cup grade B maple syrup (honey for SCD)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (also called coconut manna or creamed coconut)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon palm shortening or butter
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla beans (or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or for a smoother texture, food processor), combine the maple, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet while the mixer is running.
- Scoop golf-ball size balls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Press down lightly with your palm to flatten them a bit.
- Bake for 18 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the icing by pureeing all of the ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Leave at room temperature until you are ready to frost the cookies.
Skip the glaze and add chocolate chips or raisins to these cookies. Incredible!