Spiced Candied Walnuts
Candied nuts provide such a great texture and the perfect balance of savory and sweet to any salad. These nuts go especially well in a salad that uses fruit. They also are quite delightful as a snack. Careful when you’re picking at them though, you may unintentionally eat them all before you have a chance to add them to a salad!
This recipe calls for walnuts that have been soaked overnight in order to make them easier on the digestive system. When you soak nuts, you break down the enzyme inhibitor that makes nuts hard on your gut. You can chose not to soak them, just be aware that they will take much less time in the oven.
- ½ cup raw walnuts (soak overnight in filtered water)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain your soaked walnuts on a paper towel then set aside.
- Warm your honey over medium heat for about a minute, until it has liquified. You can also microwave it for 15 seconds. Stir in the walnuts, cayenne and sea salt. Mix to combine thoroughly.
- Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the nuts for 20 minutes, then remove and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a week.