Moroccan Chicken Salad
I promise we don’t always eat sweets, despite what my recipe archives may suggest! I’ve just happened to have a huge backlog of muffins, cookies, and pies waiting to be published.
Although most salads are naturally gluten-free and you can all find hoards of recipes elsewhere, I figured I’d share a more realistic insight into what our family eats on a normal basis. I’m a huge salad fan, and so his my husband as long it’s hearty and full of goodies.
This salad is based off of a salad I saw on the menu of California Pizza Kitchen. I’ve never tasted theirs, but the description of the dish was enough to make me want to create a copycat version at home. Don’t be turned off by the long list of ingredients. They all come together to create an intensely flavorful salad full of anti-inflammatory spices.
For the Chicken
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
For the Salad
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup red beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 carrot, shaved
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cranberries
- ¼ cup Champagne Vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
- Place all of the chicken ingredients in a ziploc bag or glass dish and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, flipping once, until it’s cooked thru. Let cool while you prepare the remainder of the salad. This can also be done the day before and stored in the refrigerator.
- Toss the beets and butternut squash in the olive oil and sea salt, then roast at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes until tender. Remove from oven, then let cool.
- Toss together the butternut squash, beets, lettuce, dates, avocado, carrot, almonds, and cranberries. Slice the chicken and place it on top, then drizzle with Champagne Vinaigrette.
- In a blender (I actually used a blender bottle!), mix together 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, ⅛ cup champagne vinegar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. With the blender running, drizzle in ½ cup olive oil.