Breakfast Pizza with Gruyere, Baked Eggs, and Bacon
I could eat this breakfast pizza every day. I made it the first time for Christmas breakfast and we devoured the entire thing! The heart healthy almond flour crust has plenty of protein in it for a brilliant start to your morning.
Gruyère is my favorite cheese to use in breakfast dishes. The nutty flavor just pairs so well with eggs. If you don’t eat meat, try doing a spinach and tomatoes, or just plain cheese. There are endless options!
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
For the Pizza
- ¼ cup Crème fraîche (scd legal), or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 7 bacon slices, cooked until crisp
- 4 eggs
- fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the dough ingredients in a stand mixer until the a soft dough comes together in a ball. Press the dough into a tart pan, then bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Mix the Crème fraîche and Gruyère in a bowl and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture in the bottom of the baked tart shell, then layer the bacon on top.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Bake the tart for 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese, then remove it and carefully crack the eggs on top.
- Return it to the oven and bake it for another 7-10 minutes, until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still soft. If you prefer more well-done yolks, leave the tart in the oven for 2-3 minutes more. The whites will look slightly underdone due to the oils from the cheese, but they will be set.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.