SCD Thanksgiving Stuffing
Update: Please see my updated stuffing post Grain-Free Stuffing here
It was my job to make the stuffing this year, so I experimented with SCD bread. The greatest part is that no one knew the difference, and once I told them what it was made of, they went back for seconds!
For the Bread Loaf (recipe adapted from the Lois Lang Bread recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup farmer’s cheese
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- fresh chopped rosemary
For the stuffing
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced in half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Fuji apples (skin on, chopped)
- 1 lb SCD legal sausage (sweet Italian preferable)
- 1/2 cup sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups turkey stock (or SCD legal chicken broth)
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Combine all bread ingredients (except for the flower and water) in a mixer and blend until smooth. Alternate adding the flour and the water until dough is combined. Dough will be a very sticky consistency.
- Grease a loaf pan and put a rectangular piece of parchment paper at the bottom. This will help the loaf come out easily. Spray more oil on top of the parchment piece.
- Fold the dough into the loaf pan with a spoon.
- Bake at 325° for about 45 minutes. Careful to not let the top burn
- While the bread is baking, saute in oil the celery, onions, garlic, sausage, apples and mushrooms until tender or about 15 minutes. Set aside until loaf has baked and cooled.
- Sliced the bread into cubes and coat with 4 tbsp melted butter. Place on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 15 minutes on 400° or until golden brown and slightly dry.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the sauteed mixture, eggs, turkey stock and herbs.
- Transfer stuffing to a well buttered baking dish and bake at 350° covered for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes until top is golden.